Sunday, December 14, 2008

Three weeks out.

I leave San Francisco in exactly three weeks. I'll spend an evening in Florida before my 4:30am check-in at the Ft. Lauderdale airport. I bought my plane ticket to Haiti last Sunday and sent my first email about the trip on Monday. I have so far received phenomenal emotional support from friends and family near and far.

I have also raised $400 for S.O.I.L. and expect more donations in the coming days. I could say that I am floored by the generous donations I have received but, honestly, I'm not. The people whose names are on those checks are some of the kindest and most generous people I have the pleasure of knowing. I hope I am as grateful as they are giving.

I met a woman today who has twice traveled to Haiti and has made several short documentaries about Haiti and a short film about S.O.I.L. She is in the process of making another film and will visit Haiti again in March. Her name is Jennifer and I felt that we could have talked for hours and hours about Haiti and many, many things. Our meeting was serious and heartfelt but easy and certainly not our last.

I have a ton of preparation for my trip. So, until then.

I wish you peace and joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment