Monday, December 22, 2008

Two weeks out.

Two weeks from my departure date and I have raised $1,280 for SOIL! Donations have arrived from Hartford, Connecticut, Napa, California, New Orleans, Louisiana, St. Simon's Island, Georgia, Orangeburg, South Carolina and Brooklyn, New York!

I am stunned at folks' generosity especially when I consider the economy and the time of year. Thank you to everyone, friends and family and friends of friends and family, who donated. This money should go far in helping with the urban tomato project and household garden installation. 

Thanks, too, to all of you who took the time to write to offer emotional/spiritual/political support. Your kind words are definitely appreciated. It started with my husband, Michael, who was the first person I spoke to about the trip. He said, "You should go". How many people want their partners to go to a dangerous, impoverished island country alone? If everyone thought this was a crazy idea, I might have decided against it but encouragement from near and far has made this trip happen.

I have all my plane tickets in order, my new passport arrived, I am on schedule with Typhoid and Malaria pills. I admit I am a little behind in my reading. I spent this past weekend wrapping gifts for Christmas. Michael and I made Meyer Lemon Marmalade and sent out six or so jars to points south and east. It felt really good to send homemade gifts. 

I am looking for seed donations for my garden projects in Haiti; I'd love to find seeds for tomatoes that don't mind heat. Garden for the Environment, an incredible organization here in San Francisco (www.gardenfortheenvironment.org) has offered some seeds but I won't pick them up until January 2nd.

Also, I have purchased a ton of crayons, markers, hi-bounce balls and hair bands (each for $1 or less). These items will be gifts for the children I meet in Haiti. If you would like to send small toys or school supplies to children in Haiti- let me know!

Peace. Merry Christmas. Happy Solstice. Happy Hanukah. Happy New Year.

No comments:

Post a Comment