Sunday, January 11, 2009

Day 5

The electricity here is supplied in two ways. First from a gas-powered municipal plant, which shuts down around midnight but sometimes at 7 or 8 or 9pm and comes back on in the morning... sometime. (Things are very fluid in Haiti, I am learning, which in certain ways I appreciate). SOIL also has a generator for power after hours or whenever the municipal power goes down, which is frequently. Yesterday both were down. Such is life in the poorest nation in the western hemisphere. I wish I could write everyday, so the details are still fresh, but it is just not possible.

We spend the morning discussing liberation theology and liberation ecology, both wholly relevant in Haiti. The thing I appreciate most of all is the idea that heaven is here on earth and we can not simply sit back and wait for the afterlife and its glories. We must all live life fully engaged and with an attitude that all things are possible, change most of all. I think certain forms or notions of Christianity have had a negative effect on people because the church tells us that the afterlife is the goal, we must be good so we can get there and that this life is somehow secondary. Politically this can lead to apathy or a sense that change and growth here and now are not important.
We also go around the room and tell the story of our religious beliefs or lack thereof and our parents' religious background. Everyone has an interesting story to tell. I learn a lot right then about some folks in the room. Everyone here, SOIL staff and interns are wonderful, thoughtful people and I am so glad I came.
After lunch, we over to Wisnel and Rosemond's house. They are very involved with SOIL and help with many projects in their neighborhood and elsewhere. Today we are going to watch a slide show from a project called, "Looking through their eyes". Sixteen children were given digital cameras and asked to photograph things in their neighborhood that made them happy and things that made them sad. Fruit trees, flowers and large beautiful homes were some od the (few) things that made them happy {none of the children live in these large beautiful homes and they all boast tall iron gates}. Garbage was at the top of the list for things that made the children unhappy. Each child spoke to four or five of their photos, explaining the picture and how why they took it. The presentation was terrific and the children all listened well to their peers.

After the slideshow, candy was passed out to the children. Almost every child dropped the wrapper to the ground.

The Jolissaint's asked us to stayfor dinner and, though we had dinner plans, we obliged. The sharing of food is meaningful and uniquely important in Haiti. We are sitting in the front room talking to Wisnel when two of the younger boys come in, Alex and a boy who I think is his brother. They come up to me and whisper something in Kreyol. I ask them to ask Sasha and she tells us that they want to know if we are going to spend the night. I find this adorable and I want to grab the boys and kiss them and squeeze them with my whole body and whole heart. Though Haiti is not a large country, the roads are terrible and when friends and relatives travel to visit one another, they often spend the night.

Later in the evening, we are waiting for Tony who works for SOIL and lives at the SOIL house. We are going to slaughter a small goat for a party tomorrow night. There is a lot of waiting in Haiti. When I moved to New Orleans, I thought at times I had found the slowest place on earth- now I see, not by a long shot. Being in Haiti requires a lot of patience. Too, I think, it is helpful to let go and not try too much to control situations. Fluidity and flexibility are key. Finally Tony arrives and he is irritated that no one has started to boil water and otherwise prepare for the slaughter. Sasha and Gillian walk over to pet and say good bye to the goat. I know this is not a good idea. They return looking sad and thinking aloud 'why did we did that'?

It seems like hours pass but finally all is set for the slaughtering of the kid (it really is a little goat). I wasn't sure I would want to watch but I do and I'm not as freaked as I expect to be. I shudder with the first cut but then watch with cal m curiousity. I have never seen an animal killed before. The slaughter happens outside next to the house by candlelight using a large knife, two metal bowls and a metal tray under a nearly full moon. Someone plays guitar and sings on the porch as the goat bleeds out and dies.

There is much more to say but we are about to have lunch. I will write again as soon as I can. I was sick yesterday (Sunday) and have not eaten. We have no water, the pump is broken, so I cannot bathe. This morning I turned the rooftop compost pile, though I was still very weak, so I'm a little dirty and should try to clean up as best I can before we eat.
Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment